Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Would you call this a hobby?

A close friend wrote May 28, 2008: "I saw your new and interesting blog. Will this be a hobby of yours from now on?"

My reply:  "It's more than a hobby. At a personal level I really have found that the "spiritual teachings" (can't find a better phrase just now) I have been exposed to over the past 25 years have great (and even increasing) relevance to developing patience, renewing motivation and developing/ remembering that wider view of who I am and what I am doing. With more experience I am seeing the problems that projects and people deal with are all about the need to remember the context (could we call it) - of what development assistance is (poorly managed and often very inefficient and ineffective) and what it might be (a more mindful evidence of the deep desire we have to share and to find self-actualization and then, the increased success that might result from that).

Beyond the personal level lies the level of "you" or "the others". As a manager, finding inclusive tools to involve others, developing leadership and followership skills, cultivating opportunities to be a role model etc all fit well into the same model (which is developing insight and supportive management capabilities.)

It can't be a hobby anymore, although it must be something to have fun with as well!!  Thanks."

No comments: