Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Changing directions

This by email from a friend in Vancouver: "I understand and endorse your belief that the only path into the future with a universally beneficial outcome is the spiritual one and i pray that you continue walking the one you are on. I am not optimistic that enough people will follow your example to make a measurable difference. I do think that such a path will bring something positive into the lives you touch along the way and am hopeful that all goodness does influence the future that awaits us all whether or not it is of our choosing. While the goodness of the few is necessary it is not sufficient to bring about the necessary change in direction that world is presently dedicated to."

1 comment:

Mike Adair - said...

I understand and do not disagree with what you say. And I do not completely agree either!! :-)

Sometimes the little space that one's furtive "practice" (sometimes it is forgotten and it is joke to call it such) makes for happiness and action, seems to be all there is in the world. "Remembering" and remembering to remember mindfulness is a key. It is a matter of faith that there are people who remember better and more consistently than do I. I have had the good fortune to meet many. I still remember the idea you shared about the beacon of metta from those practitioners in Nepal. What a wonderful refuge sangha is.

:-)

Maybe that little bit of light let into the universal mind (sorry!) by those who are adept, travels around - even to us who are asleep to the dhamma (for want of a better word). I feel sometimes it really is present and measurable. This provides an optimism " I " can get into!! Ha!!